Monday, September 1, 2014

Audiobooks


Audiobooks really weren't my thing... I mean I love the Harry Potter audiobooks, but honestly who wouldn't love Jim Dale reading one of the best series written?  But, I never really gave listening to audiobooks a thought.... until my husband changed the way I think!  

After my son was born, I was telling my husband that I'm bummed out that I don't get as much reading time as I once had.  Don't take that the wrong way... spending time with Everett is the highlight of my day, but my reading time practically disappeared.  Or if I found time to read, I was so tired that I'd get through a page or two before falling asleep with my glasses on and a book resting on my face.  So, my husband said, "You drive 40 minutes to work and 40 minutes back each day, why don't you listen to audiobooks in the car?"  I stared at him.  Audiobooks?  Hmm...

I gave it a try.  I started with Me Before You by Jojo Moyes because it was on sale on iTunes.  I think this was definitely a good choice for me to start with.  First of all Jojo Moyes is a British author and the reader has an British accent.  I love audiobooks read with a British accent (possibly a throwback to the Harry Potter audios!).  The story is about a young woman who comes from a lower-middle class background and suddenly loses her job in a cafe forcing her to find something else.  She applies for a job taking care of a man (approximately her age) who had been in a horrible motorcycle accident and is now a paraplegic.  I loved the way Jojo Moyes told this story, and the topic and ending make it a perfect book for a book club discussion.
When I finished the book, my little blurb about it on Goodreads was:

4 of 5 Stars
I really thought this was a great book, but I just don't think I related to it enough to really "love" it and give it 5 stars. I actually listened to it on audio which I think made me enjoy it more. The actresses/actors who read were really good (and British!). I thought Moyes developed her characters wonderfully and made readers care about their lives and decisions. The most important part of my short "review" of this book... the ending did not disappoint. With a book on a topic such as this, I'm always afraid the author will write an ending I'm unsatisfied with, and Moyes did not disappoint!

I decided that I would definitely make audiobooks a necessary part of my commute to and from work... it allows me to get so many extra books in!  The next book I chose was The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom.  This was a very different experience from Jojo Moyes.  I was not a fan of this book.  For such a short book, it felt incredibly long.  I tried really hard to get into the story, and the reader for the audiobook was fine... I just felt Albom could have written the entire novel in two sentences.  I didn't really care about the characters, they just felt like pawns used to drive home a very obvious message.  I have read other Albom books that I've enjoyed, but this one didn't work for me.  I didn't write an official "review" for it, but I gave it 2 of 5 stars.

My next pick was the book Wonder by R.J. Palacio.  The reader for the book took a little getting used to, but in the end I absolutely loved it.  Here's my Goodreads blurb:

5 of 5 Stars
This book really was everything it's said to be. R.J. Palacio has written a book that I believe everyone should read... not just young adults... but everyone.

Yep.  That's all that needs to be said about Wonder.  It's the story of a boy, Auggie, who was born with a severe facial deformity which prevents him from going to school until 5th grade.  The book begins as he is about to start his first year at Beecher Prep school.  Not only is he the "new kid," but he's the new kid with a face that will stand out amongst the crowd.  The book is told in alternating perspectives which gives the reader an opportunity to see Auggie's story from different points of view and how this situation affects not only him, but those around him.  

So, audiobooks and I have been living happily now for the past few months, and I thank my husband for finding another way to support my reading habit!  My newest audiobook addiction has been The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.  The first two books were okay and the audio quality wasn't the absolute greatest, but the third book really made the series take off (and I think James Marsden got a better studio to record the books in!).  I also really enjoyed The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling) on audio and my current car-read is the sequel The Silkworm.

What are some books you've listened to on audiobook that you've enjoyed?  

No comments:

Post a Comment