Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Lauren Oliver's Rooms

As you might have noticed in past posts, I love Halloween.  One might then think that I enjoy scary books, movies, haunted houses, etc.  Yeah... not really.  I mean, I was obsessed with Goosebumps, Christopher Pike books, and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark when I was young.  But then had to sleep with the lights on.  I have seen a few horror movies that have given me nightmares, but Hocus Pocus will forever be my favorite Halloween movie.

This time of year though I do like to attempt to find a book that is mildly scary to enjoy (but hopefully one that won't interfere too much with the limited sleep I already get being mommy to a toddler).  This year I have two "scary" books on my list... Rooms by Lauren Oliver and Bird Box by Josh Malerman.  

I chose to read Rooms because I absolutely loved reading Lauren Oliver's young reader novel Liesl & Po which was her first published ghost story.  Rooms is definitely an adult novel, and perfect for someone looking for an atypical ghost story.  Rooms is the story of recently deceased Richard Walker's family and the ghosts that haunt his house.  The book is divided into parts which take place in the various rooms throughout the house.  Several narrators, both alive and dead, tell stories within each of these rooms.  The shift in narrators and place allows Oliver to seamlessly glide between different times and connect stories in unique ways.  I absolutely loved the creativity behind the way this book is presented.

The ghosts in this novel are not scary, they're more mysterious.  The novel unwraps their stories as well as the disappearance of a young girl taking place in the real world.  Every character in this novel is so damaged and is hiding something.  At times it seems the plot twists and story lines are never ending, but Oliver manages to squeeze them all into 320 pages.  I only wish she had focused more on a few stories rather than making every character so intense and convoluted.  But, I will give Rooms a solid 4 out of 5.  

Bird Box by Josh Malerman is our October book club selection, so a review will come for that title in the upcoming weeks.  But how creepy does this description sound...

"Something is out there . . .
Something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from.
Five years after it began, a handful of scattered survivors remain, including Malorie and her two young children. Living in an abandoned house near the river, Malorie has long dreamed of fleeing to a place where her family might be safe. But the journey ahead will be terrifying: twenty miles downriver in a rowboat—blindfolded—with nothing to rely on but Malorie's wits and the children's trained ears. One wrong choice and they will die. And something is following them. But is it man, animal, or monster?"
I guess I'll be sleeping with the lights on again...
One last thing... I have some incredibly exciting news to share with you all...  just not quite yet.  Like my Facebook page and follow this blog to find out as soon as it's announced!
Happy reading everyone! :)

2 comments:

  1. After I read THE PASSAGE by Cronin I swore off scary books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read THE PASSAGE, but I think I have a copy somewhere... it's that scary??

      Delete